In this by-law, unless the context otherwise requires:
- “Board” means the board of directors of the Association;
- “By-laws” means this by-law (including the schedules to this by-law) and all other by-laws of the Association as amended and which are, from time to time, in force;
- “Chair” means the chair of the Board;
- “Association” means the Association that has passed these by-laws or that is deemed to have passed these by-laws under the Act;
- “Director” means an individual occupying the position of director of the Association by whatever name he or she is called;
- “Member” means a member of the Association;
- “Members” means the collective membership of the Association; and
- “Officer” means an officer of the Association.
- The name of the Association shall be Street Smart Kids Canada (SSK)
- The Association may at its pleasure by a vote of the membership body change its name.
The purpose of Street Smark Kidz Canada is to:
- to increase the safety of children and reduce the incidence of crimes against children;
- to educate the public with free information and tools that promote child safety;
- to provide prevention initiatives and information that children, parents and guardians can trust to increase the safety of children. This includes self defense, internet safety, how to deal with bullying, how to spot and protect themselves from predators and many other topics;
- to empower children to be able to think and act their way through dangerous situations;
- to raise money to fulfill the purposes of the association;
- to act in a manner that never puts children at risk;
- to advocate to industry, government, agencies, commissions and boards on matters which impact and interest the members.
IV. Board of Directors
- The Board of Directors shall be elected by the Members. The term of office of the Directors shall be from the date of the meeting at which they are elected or appointed until the next annual meeting or until their successors are elected or appointed.
- The Board of Directors shall serve without pay and consist of members.
- Vacancies shall be filled by the Board, with the recommendation of the Executive Director.
- There are no dues, assessments or other forms of monetary value required of members.
- Any member, Officer, Director or Committee participant may donate directly to the Association as a donator, and will be so noted in the Associations records of same.
- Every member of the Board of Directors must uphold the constitution and comply with these bylaws.
- Every member of the Board of Directors must have a criminal record check prior to becoming a member.
- The Association may have one or more classes of members, the qualifications and rights,including voting rights, of which shall be designated in the bylaws.
- Access to membership is open to any person regardless or race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, sexual orientation, marital status, veteran status, or disability.
- A member or associate member ceases to be a member of the Association
- by delivering a cancellation in writing to the secretary of the Association or by mailing or delivering it to the address of the Association,
- on his or her death or, in the case of a Association, on dissolution,
- on being expelled, or
- on having been a member or associate member not in good standing for 12 consecutive months.
- A member or associate member may be expelled by a resolution of the members passed at a special or general meeting.
- The notice of resolution for expulsion must be accompanied by a brief statement of the reasons for the proposed expulsion.
- The member or associate member who is the subject of the proposed resolution for expulsion must be given an opportunity to be heard at the special or general meeting before the resolution is put to a vote.
- A former member has no rights or privileges effective the day following the date of withdrawal or the day following the date the withdrawal application is accepted.
- All members, Officers, Directors or Committee participants shall receive no personal profit or gain simply by reason of their membership with Street Smart Kidz Canada.
- Members shall abide by the following rules. Failure to do so will result in immediate termination of SSK membership/credentials without exception and immediate incident report filing with the nearest Law Enforcement detachment:
- SSK will never enter a classroom with out at least 2 members of SSK present & 1 teacher/ PAC member, if school or PAC cant supply the above we will not enter the classroom/any other room where students are present.
- SSK will never give a child under 18 years of age a ride home or anywhere else in a SSK or certified SSK instructors vehicle, ever, under any circumstance. We will stay with a child until appropriate guardians/police/school administrators arrive to ensure their safety, but never allow them in the car.
- SSK administrators, instructors, volunteers or Board members must not open businesses involving children under 18 without resigning in writing from SSK first. Examples include, but not limited to, daycares, coaching, any childs sports team, etc.
- All SSK events must have a certified SSK instructor present. To become certified, the individual must have a thorough RCMP background check, complete the 40 hour training course, pass the written exam and have completed 40 hours of Supervised in school instruction by a certified instructor.
- SSK ID, such as name tags, jackets, business cards, shirts is absolutely forbidden, unless approved & issued by SSK Home Office for events, then covered or removed at the events conclusion.
- SSK is a completely FREE PROGRAM, all instructors must refuse any/all forms of payment before/after a service/seminar.
- SSK administrators, instructors, volunteers & Board members will always have “no comment” regarding religion, politics or world events when representing SSK. They may comment on the intelligence of safe sex or have “no comment” depending on the pre-interview of event organisers.
- The officers of the board shall consist of a Chair, Vice Chair, Secretary, and Treasurer nominated by the Board.
- The Chair shall preside at all Board meetings, appoint committee members, and perform other duties as associated with the office.
- The Vice-Chair shall assume the duties of the Chair in case of the Chair’s absence.
- The Secretary shall be responsible for the minutes of the Board, keep all approved minutes, and send out copies of minutes to all.
- The Treasurer shall keep record of the organization’s budget and prepare financial reports as needed.
- The Board may appoint standing and ad hoc committees as needed.
- Annual General Meetings shall be held once per year in the month of July with the date, location and time to be announced no less than 14 days before the meeting is to commence.
- Special meetings may be held at any time when called for by the Chair or a majority of Board members.
- Agendas shall be provided at least 14 days in advance.
- Voting at Management Committee meetings shall be by show of hands. If there is a tied vote then the Chairperson shall have a second vote.
- The Management Committee may appoint another member of the Association as a Committee member.
- The business of the A.G.M. shall include:
- receiving a report from the Chairperson on the Association’s activities over the year
- receiving a report from the Treasurer on the finances of the Association
- electing a new Management Committee and
- considering any other matter as may be decided.
- A majority of board members constitutes a quorum.
- In absence of a quorum, no formal action shall be taken except to adjourn the meeting to a subsequent date.
- Passage of a motion requires a simple majority (ie, one more than half the members present).
IX. Conflict of Interest
- Any member of the board who has a financial, personal, or official interest in, or conflict (or appearance of a conflict) with any matter pending before the Board, of such nature that it prevents or may prevent that member from acting on the matter in an impartial manner, will offer to the Board to voluntarily excuse him/herself and will vacate his seat and refrain from discussion and voting on said item.
X. Fiscal Policies
- The financial year of the Association ends on December 31 in each year or on such other date as the Board may from time to time by resolution determine.
- These by-laws may be amended by a two-third vote of Board members present at any meeting, provided a quorum is present and provide a copy of the proposed amendmend(s) are provided to each Board member at least one week prior to said meeting.
Board of Directors
- President & CEO – Cara Baird
- Managing Director – Steven Baird
- Assistant Managing Director – Mr. Ken Pickett
- Executive Webmaster and Technical Advisor – Bodhi McGee
- Video Director, Producer and Consultant – Kelly Bedford
- Health and Medical Advisor – Dr. Kirsten Emmott