Make sure your child/children know they can depend on you to pick them up, anytime, anywhere 24 hours a day.
- Praise them when they do call you for a ride
- Depending on the circumstances, reward them.
- Discuss why you are a better alternative than hitch-hiking
- Discuss what can happen if they get into a strange car
- Discuss what can happen if they try to get home with a friend that has been drinking alcohol.
- Point out news articles about kids that make the wrong decision.
This may seem harsh, in your face reality, but it’s better than the alternative.
Who wants a Cop banging on your door at 1am?